|2(16)/2004, p. 43
Urbanistic and architectonic transformations of Gubin and Guben
Gubin is a town lying on the border of ¦l±sk and Dolne Łużyce, which at first belonged to Poland, then to the Silesian princes (up to 1368), next to Bohemia, and from 1526 to the Habsbourgs.
Once, a homogeneous urban formation, at present Gubin and Guben are two agglomerations lying on the border of Poland and Germany. Durig the centuries it was a single town, with one main town square, constituting its heart, with a coherent communication system and division into separate districts of a different building character and functions.
The history of the town ended when the Second World War broke out. As a result of the Poczdam Agreement, among other things, the terrains lying east of the Nysa Łużycka river were incorporated into Poland.
The Polish town of Gubin was created here out of the town tissue destroyed in 80%. The German Guben deprived of the east terrains, Le. the original town, develops in the area of the former industrial district, with no town centre.