|1(19)/2006, p. 13
The royal and grandducal castle in Wilno
Hitherto existing knowledge on this building, prominent in the town and completely destroyed in 1802, was entirely based on the water-colours of Franciszek (Francis) Smuglewicz, also other painters and illustrators from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. It was also based on plans of this town fragment with various degrees of accuracy (Fürstenhoff from around 1740, Rossie from the end of the 18th century, and others). Moreover, the knowledge was also based on source references and documents.
In independent Lithuania, during research on the history and architecture relics discovered, interest with relics of the former royal and grand ducal seat in Wilno increased.
Patriotic sentiments and political considerations as also, in this case, noble ambition induced the undertaking of rebuilding and restitution of this immense residential and fortified architecture complex – a monument of the Grand Principality of Lithuania.