|2(20)/2006, p. 21
Ewa Łużyniecka, Ewa Święcka
Architecture investigations of the Cistercian abbey in Henryków in 2003 to 2006
Investigations of architecture in the Henryków monastery carried out in 2003–2006, first of all led to the localization of the mediaeval east wing of the enclosure. Relatively, most may be said about the cloister from the first terce of the 14th century and the chapter house, most likely constructed at the same time. The flows of three vaults have been located on the wall between the cloister and the chapter house. A portal and two open-works at the sides were situated between them. The Henryków open-works may have resembled the Gothic solution in the magnificent chapter house of the German monastery in Maulbronn, from around 1320 – there the open-work is filled with tracery.
Initial observations of the surviving polychromy fragments of two open-works in the chapter house of Henryków demonstrate the existence of several historical stratifications. Their range is delimited to five colours: white, black, greyish blue, yellow ochre and ferrous red. This layer is very thick and has the character of limestone whitewash. On both traceries the first historical coating is of a light red colouring, which evenly covers, with a thin layer, both the white joints and the brick surface. This layer which is especially visible where there are missing parts of later polychromy, covers fairly well and has a distinct thickness. The second red layer, visible locally is much darker, irregular, it is thin, as may be determined in small areas where the upper covering is missing. Other red layers may not be excluded. This may finally be determined in microscopic investigations. A successive yellow-red layer may be seen in many places.