Andrzej Legendziewicz, Karol Błaszczyk
Research on the architecture of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish Church in Szprotawa
The article presents the history of the creation and transformation of the parish church in Szprotawa from 13th until the 20th century. The introduction discusses the source references and the accesible literature – in a small extent discussing the evolution of the temple architecture. Based on architectural studies and details analyses, the most important phases of the church’s transformation have been identified. The origins of the building were erected in the 2nd half of the 13th century, when a temple composed of a rectangular choir and a three-span nave was erected. Probably in the 1st half of the 14th century, a tower with a chapel on the ground floor was built by the northern wall and in the middle of the century, the body was extended from the south by three chapels and a porch in front of the northern entrance. The 2nd half of the 14th century brought the creation of a porch connecting the church with the Madeleine convent. The highest storey of the tower with blanking was built in the middle of the 15th century. The construction of the present three-nave seven-bay hall structure without a separate choir with a polygonal bypass and vaults and a two-tiered sacristy was probably carried out in the years 1474–1488. After this year, two chapels: of Our Lady of Sorrows and the Passion of the Lord were built by the south elevation, and at the northern one – the Holy Cross chapel. And in 1516 the following were built: Gethsemane, Dungeon and Detenction, and a lodge for the Madeleine sisters. The Renaissance transformations included narrowing of the entrance to the chapel on the ground floor of the tower, and the Baroque changes – a new interior decoration of the Holy Cross chapel, breaking through for the present entrance on the axis of the main nave, building the organ’s choir and the new tower’s helmet. In the middle of the 19th century, the decoration of the gable was changed and the western porch was introduced.
Key words: Silesia, architecture, Middle Ages, church, Szprotawa
full article - PDF file